As of January 2022 Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru, and Beyond (out-of-print) is being offered in PDF form; under Classes and Books, on page 4, by Taproot Video
We are makers of quality Japanese style braiding equipment. Purveyors of books, kumihimo disks and plates, reeled silk, synthetic and metallic threads as well as books on other forms of braiding. Our equipment is built using hard maple in our workshop in Washington State, USA.
- Kumihimo (coo-me-he-mo) = Kumi to braid + himo string or cord - plaited braids or cords
- Karakumidai (car-uh-coo-me-dye) = Kara Chinese + kumi to braid + dai stand - Chinese braiding stand
- Takadai (tah-cuh-dye) = Taka high + dai stand - High braiding stand
- Marudai (mah-roo-dye) = Maru round + dai stand - Round braiding stand
- Ayatakedai (aye-yuh-tah-kay-dye) = Ayatake wooden + dai stand - Wooden braiding stand
- Tama (Tah-mah) - Lead-weighted wooden spools aka bobbins
- If you prefer to call or send us an email regarding your order, please do! We'll try our best to respond in 24 hours. Our number is Toll Free, 866-821-4613; we are in the Pacific Time Zone; please call between 9:00AM to 6:00PM Monday through Saturday.
- Make sure you peruse our Ordering Information as we handle Shipping differently than most businesses in an attempt to keep your shipping costs low. You will also find information on methods of payment, requests for custom equipment orders, and more!
We are a one man shop so there is a waiting list for our equipment. There is no obligation to you to place an order and get on our list, the deposit is 100% refundable should you later decide against the order. We confirm each equipment order when your name comes to the top of the list. Currently, the wait is approximately 18 months for our large equipment: takadai, ayatakedai, kakudai, and karakumidai.
The wait time is approximately two weeks for marudai, and four months for a core stand or an ayatakadai add-on. Prices are subject to change. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Click here to learn how Kumihimo threads are packaged and how to separate them out before beginning your braid. There is also information about the different kinds of threads we offer with links to their respective category pages so you can view the threads in our store directly from this page.